Financial social assistance
Financial social assistance shall assist you in subsistence if you are unable to do this through employment or other sources of income. By subsistence, we mean money for the basic necessities of life such as food, rent, electricity and essential clothing.
Conditions apply for assistance. You may be asked to document which other possibilities you have tried:
- Whether you have applied for housing benefit
- Whether you have used your rights to any social security benefits
- Whether you have contacted the labour and welfare authorities and have accepted an offer of work or training
- Lov om behandlingsmåten i forvaltningssaker av 10. februar 1967 Forvaltningsloven
- Statlige veiledende retningslinjer for utmåling av stønad til livsopphold etter sosialtjenesteloven Statlige veiledende retningsl. for utmåling av stønad til livsopphold
- Sosialtjenesteloven kap. 5
If you are not satisfied with the decision, you may appeal to the municipality within three weeks of having been informed. Explain why you are dissatisfied and why you feel the decision should be changed. If you need assistance, you may ask the municipality. If the municipality upholds its original decision, the matter will be sent to the county governor, who will decide whether the appeal may be allowed.
The municipality shall consider your application as soon as possible. If the matter cannot be determined within one month, you will be informed of this in writing with the reasons for the delay. At the same time you will be informed when you may expect to hear of the municipality’s decision.
The municipality shall obtain the necessary information in order to determine the matter. A decision is consequently made. Normally a reason is given for the decision at the same time. You will always be given a reason if there are grounds to believe that you will not be satisfied with the decision. If the reasons are not stated, you may ask the municipality. This should be done within the time limit for making an appeal.